By Maya Hayes
These easy make-ahead egg muffins have just enough potatoes to make them a bit more filling as well as kid-friendly. Reheat them in the microwave for an easy breakfast or lunch. You can swap out any of the filling according to your tastes and what you have on hand.
Makes 12 Muffins
- 9 eggs
- 36 frozen tater tots
- 1 cup cooked chicken sausage, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup 2% or whole Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- 1–2 cups cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or wipe lightly with oil.
- Place three frozen tater tots in the bottom of each cup and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven, smash the tots down into the bottom of the tin with the back of a spoon and let cool.
- Whisk together eggs, Greek yogurt and salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked sausage (cooled) and mushroom into each cup. Pour enough of the egg mixture to come to the top of the cup and then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven and let cook for 20–23 minutes until the egg is set.
- Let cool and either enjoy or refrigerate for up to a week.
*Maya Hayes is a Consultant for Employee Well-Being at Providence St. Joseph Health, holds a Masters in Public Health degree and is a Certified Nutrition Educator. Find more nutritional tips and recipes from Maya at www.healthhandled.com