Source | Maya Hayes, MPH*
This super simple salad is inspired by the stone fruit that we begin to see at Farmers’ Markets in June, but is completely customizable depending on your preferences and what you find at the market. The combination of sweet fruit and salty feta works with nearly all the summer fruits, so get creative and enjoy!
For the Salad:
- 4–6 cups organic arugula or other mixed greens
- 2–3 peaches or nectarines (or try plums or cherries!)
- 3–4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
For the Dressing:
- 1 part vinegar (your choice; balsamic, apple cider, red wine, etc) or other acid (lemon juice, fresh
- orange juice, lime juice, etc)
- 3 parts olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs to taste (optional)
- Whisk or shake all ingredients together for your vinaigrette.
- Lightly toast the slivered almonds in a pan and set aside.
- Toss your greens with your dressing then top with sliced peaches or nectarines.
- Sprinkle feta and toasted almonds on top.
- Serve alongside your favorite grilled protein and a healthy whole grain or crusty bread if you prefer.
Enjoy this healthy taste of summer!
*Maya Hayes is a Consultant for Employee Well-Being at Providence St. Joseph Health, holds a Masters in Public Health degree and is a Certified Nutrition Educator. Find more nutritional tips and recipes from Maya at www.healthhandled.com.