With packed social schedules, colder weather and the added stress of the holiday season it’s easy to let a cold or bug get you down. Here are 5 tips to help you stay healthy this season.
- Make excuses to move – Park your car far away in the mall parking lot, go around the block a few times during the workday, add a morning or evening walk in with your family or furry friend.
- Sleep – It’s important to allow your body the time it needs to rest in order to help support your immune system. Everyone is different but aim for 6 to 8 hours of sleep per night. Even if it means skipping a workout, listen to your body and choose sleep over adding more to your schedule.
- Spice up your meals – Add ginger to your tea, sprinkle cinnamon on your cereal, oatmeal or yogurt. Add garlic, turmeric and cayenne pepper to soups. All of these spices help your immune system stay strong.
- Limit treats to the weekends and special events. Eat healthily and avoid alcohol and sweets on weekdays or days you don’t have special plans. This will help you not only feel better but make those treats even more rewarding.
- Drink so much water. Make a game out of drinking water. Aim for 8 full glasses of water a day. Set a timer on your phone as a reminder. Add lemon, strawberries, mint, cucumber to switch up the taste. Hot water with lemon is a great way to get your water intake and contains a lot of vitamin C that boosts your immune system.
Team Active content is not medical advice; it’s inspiration to live actively!