Source | Maya Hayes, MPH*
Winter comfort food lightens up with zucchini noodles (“zoodles”), as a delicious and healthier alternative to pasta! Zoodles come together in minutes alongside this quick and easy ground turkey and pasta sauce. Prevent them from becoming watery by following the steps below to cut down on the liquid in the zoodles and sauce. This recipe serves 3-4 people depending on how hungry you are. Enjoy!
Tip: If you don’t have a spiralizer, grocery stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods sell prepared zoodles. Look for them in the frozen vegetable section of your favorite grocery store.
- 3-4 large zucchinis
- 1 lb Organic Ground Turkey
- 1 small jar thick pasta sauce (the thicker the better)
- 1-2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic pressed or finely chopped
- Italian SeasoningOptional ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- ½ Onion
- fresh basil, julienned
- Grated Parmesan
- Use a spiralizer to make zoodles out of your zucchini. A simple 3 blade Paderno on the regular spaghetti noodle setting works great! Set zoodles aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add garlic. Once fragrant add your ground turkey and season to taste with salt & pepper, as well as Italian seasoning–cook through. Add tomato sauce and fresh chopped tomatoes and let simmer on low.
- In another pan, heat a small amount of oil, add as many zoodles as you can (you may have to do this in batches) and saute for 2-3 minutes, transfer to a strainer to let any excess liquid drain.
- To plate, divide zoodles onto plates and top with your turkey bolognese. Then top with fresh basil and Parmesan to taste.
Maya Hayes is a Consultant for Employee Well-Being at Providence St. Joseph Health, holds a Masters in Public Health degree and is a Certified Nutrition Educator. Find more nutritional tips and recipes from Maya at www.healthhandled.com.